Turkish Style Vegan Kofte Kebabs – Recipe
These vegan kofte kebabs are made with a mixture of spiced chickpeas, rolled up and cooked on skewers with summer veggies. Serve with pita bread and hummus or vegan Tzatziki sauce for a hearty Mediterranean-inspired meal.
- 1-14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. gound flaxseed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, loosely packed
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 to 2 tbsp. olive oil
- pita bread
- hummus, tahini or vegan tzatziki sauce
- hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Place chickpeas, panko, onion, garlic, flaxseed, parsley, cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, soy sauce and lemon into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped and well mixed, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pulse a few more times to incorporate.
- Roll an eighth of chickpea mixture into about a nugget or cylinder shape (see photos). Place on a skewer. Repeat with remaining mixture, placing two koftes on each skewer. You should have four skewers total. Place a few veggies on each skewer.
- Arrange skewers on oiled baking sheet, and if you have any leftover veggies, simply arrange them on the baking sheet alongside skewers. Brush koftes and veggies generously with olive oil. Bake about 15 minutes, turning halfway through cook time, until koftes and veggies are browned in spots.
- Serve over pita bread with hummus, tahini or vegan tzatziki sauce. Dress with a little hot sauce, if you’d like.
If you cook these on the grill, I recommend placing a layer of foil under them, just in case some of your koftes break apart.