This alternative to classic pecan pie has a salty caramel filling and a mixed cocktail nuts topping, making each bite well-balanced between salty and sweet and multi-textured. For Thanksgiving this delicious Salted Caramel Mixed Nut Pi is perfect !!!
- 1 recipe easy pie crust, blind baked
- 2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) water
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups mixed roasted and salted nuts
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, brushing inside of pan with a damp pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from scorching, until sugar is completely dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and boil mixture until dark amber and just beginning to smoke, 10 to 12 minutes. Immediately remove pan from heat and add cream (mixture will sputter and bubble).
- Once mixture has settled, return to medium-low heat and stir in salt. Cook, stirring, until mixture is smooth. Transfer to large bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk eggs into cooled caramel. Fold in nuts and pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Bake until pie is set, about 45 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely before serving.