If you are like me, you will always have some keto buns in the freezer, and a few poached eggs in the fridge. It only takes a few minutes to whip up some Hollandaise sauce and make this simple keto dish. You can either try my classic keto Hollandaise Sauce, or follow this recipe to make a heart-healthy version with extra virgin olive oil and homemade fermented Sriracha sauce.
This breakfast meal simply ticks all the boxes. It’s tasty, can be made ahead of time, and best of all, it’s ketogenic friendly!
Hands-on20 minutes Overall20 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving)
Total Carbs 13.5 grams
Fiber 7.3 grams
Net Carbs 6.2 grams
Protein 15.6 grams
Fat 50.5 grams
of which Saturated 9 grams
Calories 550 kcal
Magnesium 78 mg (20% RDA)
Potassium 621 mg (31% EMR)
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (11%), fat (84%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
. 1 keto bun, halved (you can use Ultimate Keto Bun or Nut-Free Keto Bun) – will take an extra hour to prepare
. handful of fresh greens such as arugula (rocket) (20 g/ 0.7 oz)
. 2 large slices of tomato (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
. ½ medium avocado, sliced (75 g/ 2.7 oz)
. 2 large eggs, poached
. pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper
Spicy Hollandaise Sauce:
. 2 large egg yolks
. ½ tsp Dijon mustard (you can make your own)
. 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice or lime juice (30 ml)
. ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
. 1-2 tbsp water if too thick
. 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce (you can make your own)
. salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the keto bun in half. Optionally, place under a broiler for a few minutes to crisp up.
2. Poach the eggs. Fill a saucepan with water and add a dash of white vinegar and a pinch of salt. Crack the egg into a cup. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to low. Create a gentle whirlpool in the water to help the egg white wrap around the yolk. Slowly tip the egg in the centre of the whirlpool, lowering the cup an inch into the water. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Remove the egg from the hot water and place in a bowl with cold water for a few seconds. This will prevent the egg from overcooking. Then transfer the egg to a plate and keep warm.
3. Prepare the Hollandaise sauce. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, Dijon mustard and lemon juice. Fill a medium sauce pan with about a cup of water and bring to a boil over a medium heat.
4. Place the bowl with the egg yolk mixture over the sauce pan and make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Keep mixing until the egg yolk mixture starts to thicken.
5. Slowly pour the olive oil into the mixture until thick and creamy. Keep stirring at all times to avoid clumping. If the Hollandaise is too thick, add a splash of water. If it clumps, place in a blender and pulse until smooth
6. Finally, take off the heat and add the Sriracha sauce, salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
7. To assemble the Eggs Benedict, place a slice of keto bun on 2 plates. Top each one with leafy greens, a slice of tomato and sliced avocado.
8. Top each one with poached egg and pour over the Hollandaise sauce. Garnish with a pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper. Serve immediately.
Tip: You can prepare the keto buns and poached eggs in advance. The keto buns can be kept covered with a kitchen towel at room temperature for up to 3 days. The poached eggs can be stored in a bowl filled with water and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Hollandaise sauce is best prepared fresh and should not be reheated.