This Keto Chicken Pie has a biscuit top crust and a creamy, rich filling! Perfect comfort food, this low carb chicken pie and it looks simply so AMAZING!!! This pie is equally delicious and comforting, and it’s slightly different from the traditional pot pie which only has the crust on top.
Crust (1 ½ recipe Savory Keto Pie Crust) – this means you’ll need:
- 3 cups pork rinds, powdered (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1 ½ cup almond flour (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp flaxmeal (60 g / 2.1 oz)
- 3 large eggs, free-range or organic
- ½ tsp salt if using unsalted pork rinds
- 5 chicken thighs (500 g / 17.6 oz / 1.1 lb)
- 1 cup green beans (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- 1 medium carrot (70 g / 2.5 oz)
- ½ medium celeriac (130 g / 4.6 oz)
- 1 large onion (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- ½ cup butter or ghee – you can make your own (110 g / 4 oz)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml / 4 fl oz)
- 1 quart water or chicken stock, enough to cover the chicken and vegetables (1 l)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- ½ salt or to taste
- Prepare the Savory Keto Crust – just make 1 ½ the amount of the recipe to have enough crust for the top of the pie. Only use ⅔ of the dough to press in the pan – leave the rest for the top of the pie and keep it in the fridge.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes . When the pie crust is done, remove from the oven and let it cool down. When cooled, loosen the crust from the edges and bottom – use a sharp knife if needed.
- Meanwhile, dice the chicken thighs, peel and slice the carrot. Peel and dice the celeriac and cut the green beans into thirds.
- Place everything into a saucepan and add the water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the onion. Place on a pan with all of the butter (or ghee) and cook over a medium heat until caramelised. This can take up to 15 minutes – mix to prevent burning.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. When the chicken & vegetables are cooked, pour the stock through a sieve and keep the vegetables and meat in the pot – set aside.
- Pour the cream into the pan with onion and stir to combine well. Add ¼ cup – ¾ cup of the chicken & vegetable stock and mix well. When done, season with salt and set aside. Keep the remaining stock for another recipe.
- Roll out the remaining dough for the top or the pie. You’ll need to place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper while rolling to avoid tearing the dough. Try to achieve a round shape that will fit the pie.
- Place the drained chicken & vegetables into the pie crust. Add freshly chopped parsley and pour in the creamed onion and spread evenly over the topping.
- Top with the remaining rolled out dough and press towards the edges.
- Using a knife, make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||14||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5.5%), protein (27.3%), fat (67.2%)
Recipe By Martina Slajerova