Beets are truly a marvelous addition to any journey to health and well being. They are packed with essential vitamins and nutrients including vitamin c, magnesium, potassium and iron. The high vitamin C and iron content in Beets help to boost the immune system.
The beet diet is one of the most effective, healthy, and natural weight-loss diets out there. There are several methods of losing weight; nature is full of fruits and vegetables that help us keep our figure. But perhaps none possess quite so many health benefits as the scarlet red beet, with its fresh, earthy taste.
Beets are very low in calories, and contain lots of fiber, leaving you feeling more satiated. This limits your consumption of other foods that could lead to weight gain. Would you like to know more about their nutritional value and what type of diet to follow? Here, we will explain it all to you.
Beets are an incredible food with amazing nutritional properties that should never be left out from our diet. This vegetable gives us lots of energy, and is highly recommended for treating anemia, blood diseases and recovery time, and is great for children and pregnant women. They have lots of iron, and are rich in carotenes, folic acid, and vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6. Just so you can get a better understanding, here’s an example of the nutritional value in one cup of sliced, cooked beets:
- 31 Calories
- 1.5 grams of protein
- 8.5 grams of carbohydrates
- 1.5 grams of dietary fiber
- 259 mg of potassium
- 32 mg phosphorus
- 53.2 mcg of folic acid
- 58.5 international units of vitamin A
How to choose and preserve beets
- Beets can be found fresh in supermarkets and are frequently sold in bunches. It’s best to choose ones that are firm, round, spotless, and of an intensely red color. Choose bunches that have really green leaves (this means they are fresher), with identical roots, so that later, when you cook them, they cook evenly.
- Avoid long ones that are scaly on the upper portion of the root. These will be hard, fibrous, and will have a really strong taste.
- Keep beets fresh in the fridge, inside a plastic bag. They’ll stay for 2 or 3 weeks like this. Beet leaves can be separated from the root and preserved in a plastic bag, without washing. When preserved this way in the fridge, they will last for 3 to 5 days.
- Never freeze raw beets, it makes them soft.
How to prepare beets
- This vegetable can be eaten raw, boiled, or preserved. They’re mainly eaten in salads, although they can also be eaten by themselves, with garlic or onions, or dressed with a bit of salt, vinegar and oil.
- If you want to eat beets raw, you can peel them and dress them witha bit of lemon and oil.
- If eaten cooked, they are more easily digested. To do this, place them in salted, boiling water, without peeling them. If you peel them they will loose their color and flavor. Boil the beets for at least an hour, and afterwards, the skins will be easy to remove.
- Grilled: To grill beets, simply place them in the oven, leaving them until they are tender. When cooked this way, beets retain almost all of their nutritional value.
- The leaves can be eaten too, just like you eat spinach.
How to incorporate beets in your diet
- Keep in mind that it is not recommended to follow this diet for more than 10 days straight. While you’re on the diet, you should drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
- Beet juice for weight loss
- This juice will provide you with nutrients that are necessary for your body, and will satiate your appetite, thanks to its fiber content. The fiber reduces the craving to eat. Drink this juice before meals.
Ingredients: 6 beets, 10 carrots, 10 oranges
Directions: Blend all ingredients in the blender. Store in a covered jar in the fridge.
Beet diet menu
One hour before breakfast, and between meals: Lemon juice
One cup of tea or coffee with fat-free milk, 1 piece of whole-wheat bread with low-fat cheese, or light yogurt with 1 Tbsp. of bran meal, 1 apple.
- Beet smoothie: one large glass
- Salad: peppers, tomato, spinach, lettuce, and a few pieces of nuts. You can dress this with oil.
- Cooked rice with baked, skinless chicken: or, if not chicken, baked fish.
- 1 orange
- Beet smoothie: one large glass
- Vegetable soup, baked eggplant.
- 1 apple or 1 slice of watermelon or any other melon